It’s that time of the year again! A few weekends ago, I went apple picking, as you may have seen in my previous post. I picked more apples than any human could ever possibly have time to eat so I went ahead and spent an entire day making homemade apple pie! I love throwing together a whole bunch and freezing them so that I always have a dessert on hand when I need one. With the holidays around the corner, it’s the perfect time to have your freezer fully stocked with sweets. I actually made six! It’s quite the process, but if you have a little help, it’s a really fun way to spend the day.
Once again, this is another one of my grandma’s recipes. It’s super simple and only requires a few ingredients as per usual. As I mentioned in my strawberry rhubarb pie recipe, you can make your own pie crust or buy a pre-made one. Tenderflake is a great option if you don’t want to spend too much time fussing with homemade dough!
Grandma’s Homemade Apple Pie Ingredients
- 9″ pie crust
- 6 medium apples
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup of brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like it) I typically like to do 1/2.
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ~ 3 tsp of butter
- Preheat your oven to 400°
- Peel and core the apples
- Roughly chop the apples and place them in a large bowl
- Add in your sugar, salt, cornstarch, cinnamon & nutmeg and stir until well combined
- Pour the mixture into your homemade or pre-made pie crust and place a few dollops of butter on top of the apple mixture
- Place another layer of pie crust over top
- Make a few slits in the top (or create a little design if you want to be fancy). Brush a little milk over top & sprinkle with sugar
- Bake the pie at 400° for 10 min then reduce heat to 350° until have apples have softened which should take about an extra half hour. Just make sure to check up on it regularly as cooking time will vary depending on your oven.
I hope you enjoy making these pies! I can assure you, they will taste incredible.
Ps: Make sure you are following me on Bloglovin’ to keep up to date with my posts!